Zucchini - we have such a love/hate relationship with this veggie. So easily integrated into both sweet and savory dishes, zucchinis can also so quickly overrun our garden and our kitchens with baseball bat-sized fruit if let to grow to long. My grandma used to say, “In the morning, zucchini are too small to pick, but by afternoon they’ve gotten too big.” They don’t really grow THAT fast but it sure seems like it.
Growing up, I remember shredding zucchini and freezing it into 2 cup portions (exactly the amount in a recipe of zucchini bread) with my mom and siblings.
I love zucchini bread but thought I’d try to make this great Instant Pot recipe a little more special with cocoa and chocolate chips, and then lighten it up a bit with calorie-free stevia. I also eliminated the use of vegetable oil and substituted applesauce and it was perfect. We enjoyed this cake right out of the Instant Pot, and also cold from the fridge. Delicious either way. As with all baked goods from the Instant Pot, remember the texture will be very dense, super moist and almost having a pudding texture.
I used my garage sale find baking pan for the first time too. I know there’s a ton of great Instant Pot accessories out on Amazon, but you can check your own cabinets too and I bet you’ll find things that will work for PIP (pot in pot) Instant Pot cooking. I found this small bundt cake-style pan at a yard sale for just $0.25! For this recipe you can use silicone muffin forms, a bundt pan, an egg bite mold, or even a casserole bowl (as long as it’s oven-safe). The cooking time may need to be adjusted, so keep that in mind.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Pyure stevia sweetener
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 TB butter, melted
- 3 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla.
- Add cocoa to melted butter and mix.
- Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Add 1 cup water to inner liner of Instant Pot.
- Fill bundt pan with cake batter. Cover with foil.
- Lower into Instant Pot on trivet with handles.
- Set to ‘manual’ high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Use natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Cool slightly, slice and enjoy!