This recipe was a success and failure all in one. Let me explain:
I have never owned a springform pan. Scratch that, I’ve owned one for several years, but it’s never made it out of the nice Pampered Chef box that it came in. I don’t like cheesecake but bought the pan so I could make it for the hubby. Then we started a fitness program seven years ago, stuck with it and stopped eating desserts. So the pan went into the basement storage where it stayed. Recently, when I was creating a healthier cheesecake recipe for Instant Pot, I got it out to see if it would fit - and that was a big nope. Way too big. I borrowed a pan from a friend (7-inch is the magic size!), ordered one on Amazon for myself (from Hiware, and they were super impressive - I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them again). Cheesecake turned out beautifully, and I actually found myself enjoying the lightened up version.
What’s this have to do with a quiche recipe? Well, in my limited springform pan experience, I didn’t really know what else you could do with it. I figured, hey it fits in the Instant Pot so let’s use it for a crustless quiche recipe. As soon as I poured the ingredients into the pan, I realized it was NOT designed for something like a quiche. Oops. Leaked everywhere. I quickly poured it into a corningware bowl (that I had used for the applesauce cake), and figured a quiche is a quiche, whether it’s in a nice shallow pan, or in a deeper bowl. In the end, it turned out just fine (albeit a little watery because of the summer squash).
Feel free to modify this recipe with whatever vegetables you have on hand, and play around with adding different cheeses and meats if desired. I made mine with ham, cheddar and a little strong Italian cheese. SO good.
Now that I’ve shared one of my failures (and more to come, don’t doubt it), what have you tried in the Instant Pot that hasn’t turned out so well?
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 heaping cup of chopped zucchini or summer squash
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped onion, or 3 chopped green onions
- ½ cup chopped ham (optional)
- Oil a 7-cup container, baking dish or bowl
- Add 1 ½ cup water to Instant Pot inner liner
- Whisk together eggs, milk and seasoning
- Mix in chopped zucchini, cheese, onion and ham (if desired)
- Pour into prepared dish and lower into Instant Pot onto trivet
- Set to ‘manual’ or ‘pressure cook’ at high pressure for 25 minutes
- Use natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure
- Cool 5 minutes before serving