Touring the Taj Mahal in India, seeing the beautiful semi-precious gem inlay in practically every flat surface of stone, humbly observing the thousands of individuals who had come to pray and pay respect, easily was my favorite part of traveling to India. A close runner-up? The food, oh my goodness, the food. All the curries, vindaloo and the naan and roti breads. Heaven! I miss those foods. Thankfully, I have a good friend from India who sometimes cooks for us, and I’ve perfected a few other recipes myself for when we’re craving a flavorful reminder of our amazing trip to India.
This recipe is a rather simple curry, and instead of serving over rice, I’ve accompanied it with Get Fit Roti, a low carb, superfood wrap from Heartnspice.com. You can, of course serve with rice too, but as someone who eats a balanced diet (note that I did NOT say low carb – but we tend to eat too many carbs to be healthy here in America), I choose one carb per meal (and since rice and bread are both carbs, I choose BREAD!).
This recipe is one too where you can adjust the vegetables to your taste. Enjoy!
- 3/4 lbs Chicken Breast, cubed
- ½ Zucchini, sliced
- 3 TB Penzey’s Hot Curry Powder
- 3 TB olive oil
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 1 13.6 oz can coconut milk
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 4 oz cans mushrooms or 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 TB fresh grated ginger or 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat Instant Pot with ‘saute’ function. Add oil and saute chicken on all sides for 2-3 minutes.
- Press ‘cancel’ on Instant Pot. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT corn starch and stir to mix. Close the lid.
- Set timer to ‘Manual’ for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- When cooking is finished, use natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then quick release. the Instant Pot finished cooking, press “CANCEL” and wait for the pressure to be released naturally.
- Open the lid and press “SAUTE” button. Stir in corn starch mixed with a tablespoon of water. Cook for about a minute before turning off the pressure cooker completely.
- Serve with Get Fit Roti (and rice if desired).