Today is National Applesauce Cake Day!
Traditionally, cakes and other desserts were reserved for the most special of occasions – that’s why birthday cakes are such a big deal. Nowadays, we’ve come to expect dessert more often than not after meals. Ideally, we would keep to tradition and treat desserts like the special treat they are meant to be. But if you’re craving a little something sweet, remember that moderation and balance is the key to a healthier life. We’ve created a special dessert that can satisfy that desire for something sweet without wrecking your whole day of healthy eating. Just remember to count this as your carbohydrate for the meal (so no potatoes, corn, grains, bread or fruit) and eat a double serving of veggies before indulging! This cake (like all baked goods in the IP) will be very moist, with an almost soufflé texture so it really doesn’t need icing but if you’re feeling decadent, you can whip up a bit of cream cheese and powdered sugar for just a bit of frosting.
Low Fat Applesauce Cake
- 1.5 cup cake mix (I used Duncan Hines white, but feel free to experiment)
- 1.5 cup unsweetened applesauce (I like the thicker kind with pieces of apple)
- ¾-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup chopped pecans (walnuts would also work well)
- 2 eggs
- Mix dry ingredients together, then add eggs and applesauce, blending until just moistened. Pour into 2 quart oven safe bowl (I used one similar to this:) Cover with foil, making sure to ‘dome’ the middle of the foil so the cake doesn’t stick).
- Take a long strip of foil and fold it over several times to make a sling to easily lower and raise the bowl out of the Instant Pot (this foil sling will remain in the IP while cooking and can be reused).
- Place a trivet in the bottom of your 6 quart Instant Pot (this one works really well as it’s bendable).
- Using the manual control, change pressure to ‘High’, make sure the steam release is set to ‘sealing’ and set timer for 50 minutes. Use natural pressure release – at the 20 minute mark, you can gradually use ‘venting’ to release the remaining pressure if any.
- Serve with low-fat frozen yogurt or enjoy by itself.