Our household is far from vegetarian or vegan - we are big meat eaters! However, that doesn’t mean that eating a diet focused more on plants isn’t something I concentrate on. While I don’t routinely participate in ‘meatless Mondays’ I do try to incorporate vegetarian forms of protein occasionally. This recipe makes use of the Instant Pot to make an easy weeknight meal, complete with a grain, a vegan protein (tempeh), vegetables and fruit!
Now, before you look at this list of ingredients and wrinkle your nose - TRUST ME! You’ll add seasoning after, and the apples won’t taste weird, I promise.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms or 4 oz canned mushrooms
- ¼ cup finely diced sweet onion
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 brick cubed tempeh
- 3 apples, sliced (and peeled if desired)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into sticks
- Cinnamon, seasoning salt, hot sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
- Place quinoa in a fine mesh collander and rinse.
- Spray inner liner of Instant Pot with nonstick cooking spray or apply a thin layer of cooking oil. Pour in rinsed quinoa, broth, mushrooms, onion, and tomatoes.
- Place the divided basket sections on top of quinoa. In one section add tempeh.
- In another section of basket, add apple slices.
- Add zucchini to third section.
- Close and lock lid, set valve to ‘sealing’. Select ‘manual’ and cook for 1 minute on high pressure.
- Use natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Season apples with cinnamon and sugar (or honey) if desired.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce as desired.
Note: If having a strictly vegetarian dish is not important, you can use bacon or ham instead of tempeh.