Back to school season – the time of year most kids dread and parents celebrate (for the most part).
Back to school season – school supply shopping, new clothes for the first day, and deciding whether to eat cafeteria lunch or pack a lunch.
Back to school season – that time where parents have to get their act in gear to figure out fast, filling and nutritious breakfasts for their kiddos before they get on the bus.
While I’ve not been blessed with kids of my own, I do know from my many friends of kids that back to school time is both cause for celebration and angst. I get it – you love your kids, but you’re totally ready for them to get back to school so you can take a breath from the busy summer activities OR stressing about childcare while you’re at work during the day.
Maybe I don’t have kids, but I have a busy husband and both of us work three jobs each so we need to keep meals fast and simple. And since one of our jobs involves health and fitness, the food needs to be *mostly* healthy (I’m not gonna lie though – we have treats occasionally too!)
Instant Pot egg bites allow for so many variations, you could even customize each bite if you desired. With this recipe, I added a little cream cheese for some decadence and then chopped the veggies up very finely so picky kids might overlook them. With so many Instant Pot recipes online, there’s plenty of conflicting directions, but rest assured that I made these exactly as written and you can trust this is one of the best Instant Pot recipes I’ve made to date. 🙂
Let me know how you alter this for your family’s tastes. Exchange the broccoli and mushrooms for any veggies you’d like – asparagus, onion, peppers, spinach…and play around with cheeses too. The possibilities are endless! And of course omit the meat if you’d prefer a vegetarian breakfast. Serve with some fresh fruit and you’ve got a filling meal for all your kids – and grown ups too!
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup finely chopped broccoli
- ¼ cup finely chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup finely chopped ham or bacon
- 2 TB cream cheese
- 2 TB shredded cheese (I used black pepper cheddar)
- Place cream cheese and eggs in bowl and use immersion blender to mix. You can also just cut cream cheese into small cubes if you’d rather have pockets of cream cheese in the egg bites.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare silicone egg mold with nonstick spray.
- Divide mixture evenly into mold cups. Cover with foil or silicone lid.
- Pour 1 ½ cup water into Instant Pot.
- Lower egg mold into Instant Pot with handled trivet.
- Select ‘steam’ mode and set for 8 minutes.
- Use quick release.
- Cool slightly and enjoy!